BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday 7 April 2011

Evaluation Questions

REFLECT on the follwing and answer these questions fully.


1: Is your production a reflection of the issues or a solution to the issues discussed in your Critical investigation.

(With explicit examples - discuss how)

My linked production piece is a solution to some of the issues raised in my critical investigation. At the end of my critical investigation i highlighted two main issues within the sports industry and the media these were:

  • The focus of sporting stars being on the idea of celebrity and what they have or haven't done
  • The inequality between the genders and how this contradicts the positive ideologies of sports

I did my article in Fourfourtwo magazine because it is a football magazine and therefore the crux of the stories are surrounding footballing talent. Also i choose to focus the articles on new young players because they wouldn't have any past stories and the focus on them would be on their footballing futures and nothing to do with their social lives. To address my second issue I made one of the footballers in my article female and gave her the biggest feature in the article.


2: On a scale of 1 – 5 (5 being the best) to what extent does your production demonstrateautonomous, secure and confident use of the chosen technology,

(With explicit examples – discuss how)

For my production I was able to use a number of different technologies to what I believe are high if not professional standards. The first of these technologies was the high quality camera and using it to catch high action shots from the right angle, distance and range etc. Next was confident use of Indesign, setting up my layout for my magazine and learning how to apply effects to the text, images and boxes around the text. After feedback I then had to use photoshop to brighten up my images as people felt it was too dark to feature in Fourfourtwo magazine. Overall I would give myself a 5 for my use of technology as it was all kept to a high quality without compromising the validity of being in fourfourtwo magazine.


3: On a scale of 1 – 5 (5 being the best) – to what extent does your production engage with institutional and genre codes and conventions and show aesthetic credibility.

(With explicit examples – discuss how)

The layout of my article follows the majority of Fourfourtwo’s codes and conventions, also I believe the text is similar to their style; the images follow the same theme of being highly emotive action shots and the article is less common but not unrealistic to appear in the magazine. My main focus when creating my article was weather or not it could appear in fourfourtwo magazine and I feel it wouldn’t look out of place in an issue of the magazine. I think the credibility of my production is my strongest feature about my production therefore I think it deserves a 5.


4: On a scale of 1 – 5 (5 being the best) – to what extent does your production reflect your knowledge and understanding of the chosen area.

(With explicit examples – discuss how)

My production was able to discuss a number of the main points in my critical investigation. In my feature article I was able to directly address the issue of feminism in sports, Marxism in sports, sporting addiction, and the promoting of positive ideologies using sports stars. Indirectly in my article I think the issue of the use of stars as advertisement tools, nationalism and sporting addiction of fans. I wasn’t able to address a few of the issue in my critical investigation as I felt it wouldn’t fit the context of the article. Also my critical investigation was an examination of sports in the media; this is a large topic and means I had to be selective with the issues I choose to use. I give myself a 4 for how I was able to reflect knowledge of my critical investigation in my article, because I addressed most of my issues of my critical investigation but not all of them. Also I used a number of football terms as well as actual footballing people in the article.


5: What does your production explore in terms of ? -


- text(s), (With explicit examples – discuss how)

  • Fourfourtwo
  • Chelsea F.C
  • The FA (England FC)
  • Olympics
  • FIFA World Cup

- themes, (With explicit examples – discuss how)

  • Youth
  • Nationality (English)
  • Chelsea FC
  • Blue (Colour)

- issues (With explicit examples – discuss how)

  • Feminism in sports
  • Marxism in sports
  • Sporting addiction
  • The promoting of positive ideologies using sports stars

- debates (With explicit examples – discuss how)

  • Lack of young English players
  • Amount spent on players
  • Lack of equality between the genders


6: Looking at the Mark Scheme –

What Level does your work fall into and explain exactly why.

I believe that my production is comfortable within level 4 and could possibly be at the top of the level as it fulfils all of the main criteria of the level. My production shows significantly competent use of the technology, a good understanding of the genre and institutional codes and conventions, creative flare and most importantly high quality standards which I believe is very close to professional standards.


0 comments: